For ad-free, clean communication, you could do much worse than AIM. While there’s stiff competition from the likes of WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, AIM holds up well thanks to a lovely interface and rich feature set.
– Chat with your friends from AIM, Facebook and Google chat networks
– Chat with a friend or group of friends with the new “Start a Chat” button
– Customize your groups with features like add/kick members and edit group icon
– Share photos and your location without leaving the conversation
– Copy and paste messages by long pressing on a message
– Tap on icons to quickly view user details or group chat settings
– See your news feed updates from AIM, Facebook and Instagram in one easy to navigate window
– Like and comment on AIM and Facebook updates without leaving the app
– Go “Off the Record” with a friend in your conversation
– Clear your message history directly from the conversation menu
– Update your incoming message sound alerts
– Update your LED notification color
AIM is the best way to keep in touch with people and groups, no matter where they are. With AIM, you can chat with friends on AIM, Facebook and Google Talk. You can also start or join a group chat, share images and your location, and continue conversations with your desktop and web clients seamlessly.
The UI is clutter-free and intuitive, and there's seamless syncing across platforms (though there are some issues with the desktop platform). The servers seem to be decent, so you can rely on messages being delivered lightning-fast.